Friday, September 16, 2016

Gal Pal Society: Jamie

Jamie:34

Growing up my brother was always someone I greatly admired, and still do, so when the day came he told the family he met "his wife", my first thought was "she better be awesome, because he's awesome, and my brother's not going to marry someone lame!"Well, as ridiculous as that sounds, I was right, and thus I was introduced to Jamie or "JT Money" as some may know her. Throughout the years since first meeting her, she has impacted my life in a very powerful way, and has always been someone I can lean on in times of emotional or spiritual need. Jamie is not only one of the funniest people I know, but truly one of the most sincere, loving, and transparent individuals I've ever met. She doesn't have a pristine past, and she'll be the first to admit it, but she'll use her story to inspire and encourage anyone that will listen.  Although we have great distance between us physically (with them living in Dallas, and us here in Cincinnati), she has always been someone I could confide in though some of my most difficult trials:with myself, my marriage, and even motherhood. She's a fierce prayer warrior and has been my number one unbiased supporter when I needed it most. Jamie is also quite the goofball,so between her southern twang and comedic wit, you're sure to laugh being in her presence. Her admiration for breakfast cereals, the "berries and cream" starburst man (sorry jamie), and electronic dance music are even more reasons why Jamie is just so stinking lovable in my book.
God certainly knew what he was doing when he joined my brother and Jamie together, and I miss them dearly everyday, but am always thankful for their visits. Recently, they stopped into town for a special wedding in our family, so I took advantage of time spent alone with Jamie and snapped some photos along the way. Isn't she just so dang purty!


Don't get in between this girl and her cupcakes!
I mean....she really is such a beautiful person.


"Them" 90% of the time.

Ok, Nate.

What was it like growing up in the deep south, and what was your favorite thing about it?
Growing up in the South was the best.  As a child, it meant that the neighborhood kids were your best friends and you spent your days playing in the woods, building forts, riding bikes, playing kick the can and playing manhunt.  As a youth and adult, it meant Sunday pot roast lunches at my Mamaw & Papaw's house, boat rides, fishing whenever you felt like it and walks on the beach.  It meant having some of the best food you'll ever taste. It meant saying "yes, mam & no, mam" - even as an adult. These were a few of my favorite things :)
What do you miss most, now that you live in Texas?
The things I miss most are my best friends and the gulf.  The Mississippi Gulf Coast is a beauty and I miss the water.  I try to make it back at least once a year to have some girl time with my girlfiriends and take as many rides along the beach as I can fit in.  Oh..and shrimp poboys...I miss those a lot.  And King Cake.
Being an avid traveler and lover of the culinary arts, where would you say had the greatest food? If you had a favorite meal, what was it and where?
You know, I'd have to say Dallas is where I've had the greatest food.  Dallas is SO BIG and there is so much culture all around.  You can find just about any cuisine you could ever desire here.  There are so many types of food I have had "firsts" of here and I probably wouldn't have if I stayed in my little box back home in MS (for example, Indian & Thai Food...LOVE IT!)  We've experienced a lot of dishes from well known chefs in Dallas such as Wolfgang Puck, Dean Fearing, Kent Rathburn, Jet Tila & Nobu Matsuhisa so it is SUPER hard to say a "favorite".  That's sort of like asking me what my favorite cereal is LOL - all of them.  Chipotle is always a winner to me too - they do not exist in MS where I'm from!  #Tragic
Where is the next place on your list of destinations? What’s the best and worst thing about traveling?
Australia is definitely on our Bucket List but we are currently planning a trip to Costa Rica for Christmas.  There is so much to do there so we are excited about zip lines, hikes, monkeys, lazy beach days & exploring.  For me, the worst thing about traveling is not sleeping well.  I don't sleep well away from home so that is always the worst for me.  The other part that is the worst is when it's over and it's back to reality!
You are the epitome of a “Girl Boss” because you’re not only great at what you do, but you radiate confidence while doing it. Where does that high self-belief come from?
Well, I don't think I've always had that.  As a teenager it was more of a front with maybe a mix of genuine confidence in there.  I think I was always pretty likable because I could always get a laugh out of people.  I graduated high school at a whopping 5ft & 87 lbs but I talked smack like it was nobody's business. In reality, I was insecure and looking to find value & worth in all the wrong places.  In my mid 20's I really started seeking the Lord for myself and man, did I go through some dark times dealing with my self-image.  I still have journals from that time in my life - it was almost like a bondage I was in - a daily battle of "I am disgusted with myself."  That was probably one of the hardest seasons of my life but God walked me through it and taught me SO much about how HE sees me....that I was created in His image...that I am fearfully and wonderfully made.  He taught me how to fight with the Word of God - speaking out loud what God says is true about me (whether or not I believed or felt it to be true at the time)
Today, I am blessed to have a job where I get to use my greatest strengths & gifts.  I am in Outside Sales and get to use the personality and "people" skills God has given me to make a difference in the lives of small business owners.  I have fully come to trust in the Lord as my Provider and He has abundantly blessed me in so many different ways.  So a lot of my "self-belief" comes from experiencing God and knowing that He will always take care of me if I trust Him and am obedient.
You have been married to my brother for five years this past June. How has marriage changed you for the better and what is something that has surprised you about yourself as a “wife”?
Being married to Nate is the most fun and easiest thing I have ever done.  I went through a season of singleness for a few years when I really purposefully spent a lot of time learning what it a Godly marriage looked like and how to be a good wife.  I looked for examples of Godly marriages, read a lot of books and listened to a lot of teachings on it.  I even remember specifically back in 2005 praying for my future husband - praying that he was having a good day and praying that he was growing in godly character.  Such a sweet time in my life.
Nate is such an easygoing guy.  He is doesn't worry, seldom complains, respects others, is respected by others, is a hard worker with so much integrity and is slow to anger.  What has surprised me the most about marriage, is how constant he loves me.  I know I'm not the easiest person to live with but he forgives so quickly and has taught me to not worry about things so much (even though I still do sometimes!).  He is always my voice of reason.
One of the biggest things I learned BEFORE marriage is what God has to say about Love & Respect - which I feel is the foundation of a strong marriage and that was one of the greatest revelations of my whole life.  It is so amazing to see how blessed a marriage can be when you put those things in to practice.
As far as longevity goes how have you maintained your core group of female friendships?
With my closest friends...there is a certain foundation & bond that I have with each of them and they are all different.  Whether it be a friendship that started in my "wilder" days or ones that started in my "wiser" years, they are all pillars in my life.  With me living so far away from my my closest girlfriends, we try to make it a point to visit at least once a year...whether it's me going to them, them coming to Dallas or finding a way to meet in the middle.  Even if it's just once a year, I take what I can get!  I know it's harder the older we get, with families and responsibilities, to take time & money out to spend time with each other, but I feel like it's an investment that is so worth it.  I appreciate so much each and every friend of mine that has gone out of her way to spend time with me because I treasure it so much.  We never know what life will bring so it's SO important to have a #squad that will be there no matter what.
What do you feel is vital in order for female friendships to thrive?
Honesty.  Being bold enough to tell your friends the truth about things, even when it is hard.  There have been plenty of situations where I have said, or have been on the receiving end of things that were hard to say - whether it be advice about a relationship, being snapped out of a bad attitude, or giving an opinion that I didn't want to hear or that I said that wasn't well received.  Some things like that are never super fun in the moment, but when you know who it's coming from, you know it is coming from a place of love.
It's also important to celebrate each other...even in the smallest victories.  You lost 5 lbs?  Great job!!  You went a whole day without having child services called on you?  Awesome!  Your kid made honor roll?  What a proud mom you must be!  You got a promotion??  You rock!! Girlfriends should be your biggest cheerleaders and I have some of the best!
What were your female influences like as a child? How did they help shape you?
Oddly enough, I didn't really have many...if any.  As an adult, I see now what a great example I had in my grandmother as God loving lady and a wife that still makes my Papaw proud, even though she left to be with Jesus over 10 years ago.  I didn't look up to any of that much growing up.  I was too concerned with acting like a hood rat, listening to gangsta rap and doing things that could have easily landed me several arrests.  Now that a bit more mature (even though I still like to do hood rat things and listen to gangsta music on occasion), I can really see the blessing that was my Mamaw - I am so thankful that I have the memories of a woman who was a constant & steady love and encourager in my life.  (I'm sure it was her prayers that saved me from myself for many years!)
 Is there a passion/hobby you wish you had more time to pursue, or rediscover?
One of the things I am most passionate about is marriage.  I feel like I was given such a great revelation on godly marriage and really tried to do things the right way BEFORE marriage...as far as dating with purpose and purity.  Anyone that knows my past knows that that isn't something I could always say but God really changed my heart & perspective about this.
I feel like these days, marriage isn't considered sacred or special.  I feel like some people jump into it way too fast without really knowing who they are marrying and then find themselves in tough situations later on.  There is a lot of "marriage help" out there but I feel strongly that more emphasis needs to be put on "before" marriage.  For example, we go to school to prepare for our careers, we go to training before we start jobs, we read books when we're about to become a parent for the first time...but what do we do to prepare for the most important relationship of our lives?  Not enough, in my opinion and we're failing.
I hope for more opportunities in my life to be an example to other couples...whether it be giving sound advice, helping others learn from my mistakes so they don't have to on their own, suggesting books & teachings that helped prepare me to be a wife, or speak life in to young women to let them know that they are worthy of love. Jamie, I love and miss you tremendously. I'm so grateful for you and everything you prayed, talked, and sought me through in the five years we've known one another. You inspire me more than I tend to vocalize (which I should definitely do more often), and encourage me to be a better person and wife. You're truly a gift in my life.

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of both of these beautiful ladies. Jamie you are a wonderful example and light to those around you, and show what it looks like to love and trust in God. I love your boldness, compassion, and your craziness and so much more! Thank you for being a loving wife to my son. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of both of these beautiful ladies. Jamie you are a wonderful example and light to those around you, and show what it looks like to love and trust in God. I love your boldness, compassion, and your craziness and so much more! Thank you for being a loving wife to my son. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. COME visit my page and see what @jamieannwebb had time to do on my page @seconds2love she seemed so nice till she decided to leave nasty comments on my page

    ReplyDelete